The LifeHouse
Traveling Life Center (TLC)
Offering hope and help to pregnant women






Contact us

Search this website

Enter words or phrases above, then click on the "Go" button to search for documents on particular subjects.

pregnancy centers
and the
Traveling Life Center
are ministries of
LifeSavers Ministries, Inc.

Can you get pregnant while on your menstrual period?

See also:
Is it possible to have a period when you're already pregnant?

Answer: Although it is very unlikely that you could become pregnant during your period, some women do ovulate when they are bleeding (which may not actually be a menstrual period), so it is remotely possible.

If you have a consistent menstrual cycle, with several days of bleeding every 27 to 31 days, you probably can't get pregnant during your period. However, if your cycle is irregular, you may mistake some bleeding for a period; if this is the case, you should consider yourself fertile at any time during your cycle. If your period lasts more than a week, you could possibly become pregnant if you engage in sexual intercourse toward the end of your period.

The days just after the end of your period can be the most fertile days of your cycle.

Unexpected bleeding can also be caused by small increases or decreases in your hormone levels. Because of this, artificial hormones (such as birth control pills, the Depo-provera "birth control shot", and Norplant) can interfere with your cycle. It can take your body several months to get back to normal after you are no longer exposed to these hormones.

If you think you might be pregnant, please contact us about a free pregnancy test.

If you are considering intercourse but you don't want to get pregnant, please click here to find out how to protect yourself from unplanned pregnancy.


Ask another question:

More questions and answers from the LifeHouse

The LifeHouse is not a medical facility. LifeHouse personnel are here to help you, but are not medical practitioners in any manner. If you need a definitive answer to your medical questions, please contact a medical practitioner.